Saturday, February 15, 2014

Forty Fabulous Years

Forty. Often misspelled fourty. (I taught 5th grade for 10 years, I know.) Four decades. The number of days and nights it took to flood the entire Earth. The number of days and nights Jesus fasted. The number of years my husband has been on this planet....and today... the number of years my parents have been married.

February 16th, 1974, they said "I do."  It all started a few years before that...

If I'm not mistaken, they met at church camp.... or at least have one of their first recollections of each other there. My father, being the suave fella that he was...offered to carry her luggage. And my mom, being the shy gal that she was... declined the offer.

The next couple of years brought many good times, through church and school
Here they are, Mr. and Mrs. Pep at South High.

This picture makes me laugh. If an angel had descended and told them what their future would hold together.... would they have believed it?

 
Some time in here they started dating...they graduated in 1971, spent the next couple of years playing some cat and mouse games... and became man and wife in 1974.
 
They became parents when my older sister was born in 1976 and got the surprise of their lives when my twin sister and I came less than 2 years later.
 
Things were a blur for them for a while. We always assumed that their decision to go for #4 was because my father wanted a boy. In reality, they assumed it would be another girl, but mom wanted one more to enjoy in the less hectic time since we were all in school. So three months in to my first grade year, their bundle of blue arrived. He always had 4 moms and 1 dad---all that would have done anything for him. (If you know my brother, look at the above pic... crazy resemblance.)
 
So that's the gist... high school sweethearts, married a few years later, 4 kids (3 pregnancies) in their first 10 years of marriage.
 
Many of you that know my parents, haven't learned anything you didn't already know. So now, I'm going to share a few things that you could only know if you grew up in their home. If you'd been lucky enough to be one of their children.
 
I remember at an early age, sitting in the backseat watching them playfully sing songs to each other on road trips. I remember their serenades, I remember lots of laughing...and mostly, I remember my dad reaching his hand out to her in between the seats, and my mom grabbing it. The comfort that gave me as a child is something I will never forget. Them playfully loving each other, and having fun together gave me comfort. It gave me peace of mind....and it gave me a full heart.
 
I know now, juggling kids, activities, schedules, is no easy task. My parents managed it all beautifully. They were involved. Active in our lives. Knew our friends. Supported us in everything we did. One example, though I could go on forever here. Danielle and I were in the Singing Quakers....and every year, we had an end of year concert called Symphony of Spring. This concert was usually 3 hours long, and we'd preform it 8 times over two weeks. There were many years that my mom attended ALL EIGHT concerts--- Dad was always at several as well. It didn't matter how many people were there each night.... preforming when you knew your parents were there, always made it better! The feeling a child gets when they know their parent is PROUD of them, is so important.  I already see it in my 6 year old... the way her face lights up when she knows she has wow-ed us with something. The way she always wants to make sure we are watching. I remember the same feelings at her age...and now, in my adulthood, I still enjoy knowing they are proud of me.
 
What's funny.. is I always remember being so proud of them. I loved that my mom was always an amazing bible school teacher....and that she always had the best food and snacks for our youth group events. Still to this day, I'd tour anyone through her house during Christmas, because I am amazed by her decorating abilities. My father, has to be one of the world's most loved men. I remember being proud that my father was one of the loud boisterous supporters (Move the Chain Gang) of our amazing hometown football team... and loving that EVERYONE knew him....and loving even more, that everyone that knew him, loved him. Still to this day, we can't go in to a restaurant to eat, without him seeing people he needs to hug!  Also, my dad gets things done. When he found out I had missed out on a State Choir sweatshirt because I didn't have any money with me at the event... he made who knows how many calls, and tracked one down. He still helps us however and whenever he can. He leaves himself voicemail reminders... it's pretty funny, and genius at the same time!
 
My parents never fought---as far as we knew anyway. When I say never... really I mean never. I can remember ONE borderline spat over socks before church.... and that's all I got! I remember how I felt on the way to church that morning. I was so sad to see them frustrated with each other...even though it was minor. I wanted them to kiss and make up instantly. I wanted to witness a lovey-dovey car serenade! Think about it... as kids, the two people we love more than anything in the world are our parents. Observing hateful tones and talk, regardless of how much love is there, is unsettling, and stressful. I consider myself beyond blessed to have only that one recollection of frustration. I feel beyond blessed that they not only loved each other, but they loved us enough to put up a strong, unified front. Not getting jabs in, rolling eyes, huffing and puffing.  (As good as an example as they were for us, I'm pretty convicted about how much better Jason and I can do in this area....even though we rarely "fight",)
 
 Now, I KNOW that my parents had their disagreements. They happened behind closed doors. Young children don't know how to process the bickering. They can't wrap their heads around the fact that you can argue but still be committed and in love. I am forever grateful for their displaying self control, and loving each other in such a beautiful way.
 
I know they had some tough times. I know there were bugs to work out. And from things they've divulged to us in more recent times, when we were old enough to handle it, they had times early on where they had to fight for their love....and don't we all? Or maybe I should say, shouldn't we all? Love is a choice as much as a feeling. You feel the love through the thick..... you choose to love in the thin.
 
 
My parents were the best example of a good marriage that anyone could ever ask for.
 
40 amazing years later.... they still dance....
 
....and laugh.... (can you see it in my mom's face? He's really got her laughing.)
 
They do little things to spoil each other...
 
I believe Dad's car is on auto-pilot when he passes a Sonic.... he knows just how to make her smile!
 
 
One of the best displays of love for each other, is in how they took (take) care of each other's mothers. My mom was by my Mimi's side nearly every day of the last decade of her life...
 and my father is helping care for my Grandma even now. Always keeping her safe, and cared for!
 
 
They both will always say, how blessed they were by the mother's they gained with marriage. They show their love for each other, by loving the other's family, unconditionally.
 
 
They are still affectionate....
 
I'm not in their car for road trips very often anymore, but I sure betcha they are serenading each other and holding hands.
They have mastered the art of leaning on each other's strengths.....and forgiving each other's weaknesses. 



 
 
So today, I thank my parents, for such an amazing demonstration of love...
Congratulations on an AMAZING 40 years!
I can't wait to celebrate many, many more!
 
 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment